Saturday, January 20, 2007

Scholarships, Masters Degrees, and the like

Well, what should I say about this?

Hmmmm. This post has everything to do with my long-term plans, which I can sum up in one sentence.

Teach, pay off my student loans, get my masters degree, reevaluate.



THE SCHOLARSHIP POSSIBILITY

Oh, the sweet sound of paid-for credits!

There is a scholarship that would make my ELL masters from BSU totally free! I am more than happy to say that I am just about completely ready to submit my application. I just need one more letter of recommendation from my boss, and I think I will ask her if she can get it to me by Jan 30th. I hope that won't be too pushy. :)

IN CASE THE SCHOLARSHIP DOESN'T WORK OUT

There is still some sweetness!

Thanks to my high-fallutin' job with the Meridian Schools, I discovered that I can be reimbursed for 15 credits per year! After having looked at the schedule of classes, what I've already taken, etc. it would take me two years to finish. That would get me done in the Summer of 2009. If my plans to pay back my loans works out, that should also be about the time that I pay them off. (more on this after I figure out my tax info for 2006) Reimbursement from my job would bring the total cost of my graduate degree down to about $800 per year! Doable, by any means.

Also, I have kind of decided that my main long-term goals for now are paying off the loans, finishing my masters, and getting some more teaching experience. This plan would put all that ending about 2009. At that point, I will reevaluate. Do I want to be a teacher for foreseeable future? Would I like to move? Where? For how long? What should I do when I get there?

I'll ask myself those as soon as the above goals are fulfilled!

More about this later!

1 comment:

Shawn S. said...

I've known other who did their masters work with that BSU scholarship! It is such a great deal!!! Had we not been planning a move, I would have gone that way myself...even if it meant a degree from THAT school (which I only say because I am a Vandal through and through!). Great plans! A masters in ELL is such a good thing...hey wait, I wonder why I feel that way?!?!?! Hee hee hee. Its funny that we still call it ESL out here :| - not so politically correct!!! -Sara