Hey!
So, I would like to pose you all a question.
Situation: I went with the ninth grade English teachers to lunch at Fiesta Guadalajara today. Usually, it's just me and the girls, but today Duke Staggs came along. Duke is one of our social studies teachers. He is Native American, has long hair, and is one of the myriad of men -- married and single -- who I find attractive. That fact alone may have added to my feeling of discomfort
At first the conversation was all about school, which was totally fine. Then, the English teachers switched to the only other topic they know how to discuss. (Can you guess what it is?) And, suddenly, I was at a table with five people all alluding to and asking each other advice about sex, and someone I find attractive was sitting right next to me . . .the only man at the table.
As you all know, I'm single and (for now) celibate, so this posed a pretty uncomfortable situation for me. (I was the only celibate person at the table) I found myself in the midst of a discussion I couldn't contribute to and to which everyone else was sure to contribute.
It could have been an uncomfortable situation for Duke, but, really, he seemed quite at ease with it.
So, what do you do? You're sitting at a table full of people who are vocally expressing experiences that you are uncomfortable sharing, and yet your silence in itself reveals more about you than anything.
It was weird, and I felt really on the spot. I hope Duke doesn't come with us to lunch again, because, for some reason, it's not as big a deal when it's just the ladies and me.
:) Elisabeth
Wednesday, June 06, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Yikes! That's a tough one. It isn't always easy being the one who is waiting and celibate. So many people just don't get it - even if you had the chance to explain. I am not even sure what I would have done in that situation. NOT FUN! -Sara
Honestly, I think it would be an uncomfortable situation in any case because of the following:
A) I was embarrassed even though I had no problem being the only celibate one there, really. I would MUCH RATHER be single and celibate than single and practicing just so I could have something to contribute to conversations like these.
B) I think it would probably have been even MORE uncomfortable if I wasn't celibate. In that case, I would imagine, I would have a much deeper understanding of how personal those issues are, and talking about them openly with a bunch of people who don't need to know would probably be even more uncomfortable for me than not having any true appreciation for the delicacy of the issues they were discussing.
In other words, I think it would have been worse for me if I had been married because then I would be totally turned off by the whole conversation.
Enough of this. :)
Post a Comment