I don't think it's a bad thing that some of my family sees things this way. After all, My family lately has had to deal with diseases and the ensuing medical bills, deaths, odd jobs to make ends meet, etc. It's not that all those things are bad but, I can see, from the perspective of someone whose whole life has been caught up in the care of others for years and years, my lifestyle must appear to be very self-serving.
I would probably see it that way, too, if I were them. But, what should I say? Things are going well. Life right now is pretty short on misery. Should I try and make myself more miserable to make others happy? I don't think so. Perhaps there are ways I can serve, though, that I am not seeing. I should keep my eyes open for those opportunities, but I don't know of any other lessons I might take from some of my family members' reactions to me.
The Pigman and Me by Paul Zindel

More later
1 comment:
An interesting observation. Kind of sad...that your family members can't see your joy! I know that our parents are happy for us...but they would really love a sweet little baby to be in our household too. Just wait until I get my doctorate! Can't wait to hear about the book. -S
Post a Comment