Sunday, December 10, 2006

Another Week in Pre-Christmas Idaho!

Hello all!

Christmas

Well, the Christmas shopping is pretty much done. I wasn't able to get the embroidery projects for my mom and grandma after all, since the ones they chose had been discontinued. So my mom chose and different pattern and my grandma said to just choose a different one for her. So, now, following are the ones I will embroider for Christmas. The first is for my mommy, and the second is for Grandma. (I will try to figure out how to do it in blue, since that's really what Grandma likes.)






Reception chez Wilhelm with the Intellectual Crew


Last night, Jeff Wilhelm (my professor) and his family had a little family concert and then a reception at their house. It was a bit uncomfortable for me, since all the guests were at least 15-30 years my senior and since they were all education folk, many with Ph.D.s, who were shining in their field, were well-published, and all of whom had long since mastered the art of teaching. There's a certain level of pleasant conversation required when you're hanging out with a bunch of academics. There's also a certain amount of friendly arrogance; They know they're good at what they do, and it's almost like they have a club mindset: bad/inadequate teachers not allowed. (In this case "inadequate" describes any teacher not using the inquiry approach.) As a second year with lots of insecurities, this group can be a little intimidating, but I did my best, and I don't think I stood out too much.




It was still nice to see Jeff, though, since it has been so long since I have seen him. He's a great storyteller, and, as part of the concert, he read a story called A Child's Christmas in Wales. He did a wonderful job, and the many voices he used to read the characters' speaking parts left me laughing the whole time. According to all I talked to about it, this story is an absolute classic. They were all really surprised I had never heard it before.


If you have any interest in reading it, I have found an on-line version. (Click the title above to go to it.) I think I will use it to practice my storytelling skills, since good storytelling can be powerful. It kept me listening intently for half-an-hour or forty-five minutes last night, and that's pretty good when I'm not decidedly interested going in!



Something Kind of Cool


Last week, I wrote out a little card to Aron Ralston asking for his e-mail address again. I then took it down the Idaho Youth Ranch to see if they would be so kind as to send it to him for me.


I received this little note from the lady at the Idaho Youth Ranch today. Cool, huh?




Elisabeth,

I mailed your card to Aron’s P.O. Box in Aspen, per his request.

I trust you will hear back from him.

I’m glad the event touched you on a number of levels.

Thank you for attending.

Best regards,

Roberta


School


Please don't mention school! This is the last full week my students will have before Christmas and I don't even want to anticipate the mood they will be in!


Other than that, everything is going well! My mom, my sister, and I went to see Harvey Korman and Tim Conway today. Tim Conway is so funny! He made me laugh a couple times. It was pretty much a good day!


Gotta go home and get some shut-eye!



Elisabeth

No comments: